Cupcake themed birthday parties are popular for small children so why not make a Cupcake Pinata in the colors that match your decorations?
Making a pinata is lots of fun and easy to make. It is great fun when the whole family joins in to help and make one.
Pinatas are great for any celebration so these instructions can be used as a basis for making any shape pinata. You can make an egg shape for Easter which is a great beginner pinata and from there you can graduate to much more advanced shapes. We have had chickens, Santa, Snowmen and, of course, cupcakes at our parties and they are always great fun.
One of my sisters-in-law always ends up running around with the broken pinata on her head as the kids chase her as she throws out a few extra candies!!
My cupcake pinata instructions are really easy to follow as they only involve a few easy steps.
All you need
2 cups flour
3 cups water
Colored crepe paper
Small rubbish bin
I like to use a small rubbish bin as the base of my cupcake. I cover it in plastic wrap so that the papier-mache can easily be taken off when dry (and you don't ruin the rubbish bin!). If you don't have a suitable rubbish bin, you could use a cake tin, or anything that is the size you want. If you don't have anything suitable use cardboard to make the cylinder and use newspaper across the bottom.
1. Mix the flour and water together until it makes a smooth paste.
2. Tear the newspaper into long 1 inch wide strips and dip into the flour/water mixture. Carefully place the strips on the base until it is covered. You need to add about 4 layers of paper - you want it strong enough that everyone gets to have at least one turn at hitting it at the party!
3. Set aside and let dry.
4. Blow up a large balloon until it fits neatly into the top of the base. Cover the top half of the balloon with newspaper and let dry.
5. When dry, remove papier-mache from the base and remove plastic wrap, if used. Pop and remove the balloon and tape the balloon-shaped papier-mache to the cupcake base. Use scrunched up paper to form a "cherry" on top.
6. Make a "U" shaped incision in the top as you will use this later to add candies, toys etc.
7. Punch 2 small holes in the top near the opening and string a large piece of string through the two holes.
8. Paint with different designs and colors, or cover in crepe paper.
9. Fill through the flap you left at the top, with candy, toys, or any other fun surprises.
9. Tie your cupcake pinata in the air with the string and have fun!
If you are having a cupcake party and don't have time to make a pinata there are some great cupcake pinatas available for sale online. Below are some of my favorites.