by Becky Wunder
(New York City)
When I was a little girl, cheesecake cupcakes were some of my favorite things by far.
On special occasions, my mom would make these tasty treats, but mostly they were given to us as gifts around the holidays or bought at the grocery store (I’m so against this). So I decided to put a new spin on this classic chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. It brought me right back to my childhood and was a great experience.
* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
* 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (I prefer Dutch Prosed)
* 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 cup sunflower oil
* 3/4 cup water
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 teaspoons distilled vinegar
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 egg room temperature
* 12oz (375g)cream cheese at room temperature
* 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
* optional: butterscotch morsels and food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
2. In a medium bowl sift the flour, cocoa and baking power and set aside.
3. In a large bowl add the oil, water, sugar, white vinegar and vanilla and mix for about one minute.
4. When the wet mixture is well combined add the dry mixture and blend for 3 minutes until nice and fluffy.
5. In another bowl beat the cream cheese with a electric mixer until fluffy add the sugar and slightly beaten egg mix for a minute.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Meanwhile, line the cupcake baking pans with cupcake papers.
8. Using a teaspoon for measurement, fill up cupcake tray half way with the chocolate mixture.
9. With another teaspoon, spoon out the cream cheese mixture delicately into the chocolate batter, making sure its not too deep (the cream cheese mixture should be visible on top).
10. Place in the oven for 25 to 30 min.
11. Place on wire wrack to cool for 20 minutes.
12. Eat when warm and gooey!!
Becky Wunder created her blog, Wunderful Kitchen
in December 2009. Her love of cooking and everything to do with food is what inspired this exciting journey and she looks forward to sharing exciting recipes, podcasts, food trivia, and beauty tips with her loyal followers.